Thursday, March 28, 2013

Script for Petrarch letters mission


Mission: Alonzo must find motivation to learn Latin and Greek (A difficult task)

Setting: Ancient Greece/ Rome

Script:

(In a study room)
Alonzo: I give up! I’m never going to be able to learn these ancient languages, why even try?

(Voices from the past, transition setting to ancient Greece/ Rome)
Cicero – Do or do not, there is no try.
Alonzo – Who are you? And where am I?
Cicero – I am Cicero, the great Roman author and your Latin master.
Homer – And I am Homer, your Greek master. A master Homer is. You are in ancient Europe, at the height of the Greek and Roman empires.
Alonzo – Why am I here?
Homer – So you can gain an appreciation of Latin and Greek works. It is important that your generation still looks back to what we have done.
Alonzo – But I can’t learn Latin or Greek. I’ve tried, and it’s just too hard. I’m afraid if I keep trying, I’ll just fail.
Cicero – Fear is the path to the dark side. We must replace that fear. In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way.
Alonzo – What knowledge?
Homer – The knowledge that comes with motivation. When you are motivated, you will find the strength to learn Latin and Greek.
Alonzo – But how will I become motivated?
Homer and Cicero – By learning about one who did what you’re trying to do.
Cicero – Read Petrarch, you shall. He had trouble learning the same languages you’re trying to learn, but he persevered.
Cicero and Homer – By learning why Petrarch loved our writings so much, you will find your motivation. (Go to the texts)
Cicero – Congratulations! You’ve learned why Petrarch enjoyed reading ancient texts, and you’ve gained motivation! You’re one step closer to earning your Ad Fontes badge. Let’s see what you’ve learned. (Quiz)

No comments:

Post a Comment