Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Parable of Summer Camp

Bear with me as I spew my thoughts out onto this blog post. One thing about this project that has been in the back of my mind and I can't seem to get over is how the final project will actually look. How the final piece will actually be accessed and connected.

As I mentioned in the comments in Amber's post, seeing things helps me to better understand them. While I served my mission in the Philippines, one way we helped our investigators better understand what we were teaching was through parables. Although, I'm not teaching myself a moral lesson with the "Parable of Summer Camp," I found it helpful for me anyway. So I'm going to attempt to put into words what has been on my mind concerning our project; hopefully it will help someone else other than  myself.

I never attended any sort of summer camps in the mountains, where the participants lived in little cabins, and did all sorts of team building activities (although I was in Boy Scouts).  So, my image of summer camps comes from the 1995 family comedy, Heavy Weights.

It might work better if I first make a list for all to see:

lake = internet
swimmers = our 6 themes
swimsuits, floaties, etc. = I'll call these "theme extras" (i.e. videos, intros, etc.)
a rope that the swimmers can hold onto = some way to connect the 6 themes
floating platform on the lake = a platform (like a website) that we can use to connect all of the themes & theme extras

So, I imagine our project like 6 little swimmers out there with their swimsuits and floaties.  The swimmers are treading water, in order for the swimmers to stay together, they need either a rope or to stay on the platform together.  Honestly, I don't care either way how the swimmers stick together.  But they have to stick together (at least in my mind).  Is this making sense?

So do we use a rope or a platform?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting way of describing it. I really support this idea. The danger of exploring new territory in terms of digital media is that there is a definite possibility of our work becoming lost in the depths of non-relevance or inaccessibility. But providing some common base or unifying theme throughout would really help to bring these ideas together into something substantial, relevant, meaningful, and accessible. Good thoughts, Austin.

    ReplyDelete